Thursday, July 24, 2014

I Ate a Zucchini and I Liked It!

Like most 40 something people, I need to lose weight.  I have really been trying to come up with my own plan that works for me. One of the things that I have been trying to do is replace pasta/potatoes with low-cal veggies. I am not a huge veggie fan however, which poses a bit of a challenge. I have purchased spaghetti squash several time but have not worked up the nerve to eat it. People say it is yummy, but I am still skeptical.  Yesterday, I was watching the Today show when they featured the 'Veggetti'.
I was in the drug store today and there it was, just sitting on a shelf for $14.99. I decided to try it! It is basically a mandolin that allows you to make a continuous string. I ventured out to my favorite farm stand and picked up some zucchini.  That was the veggie on the front of the package so I thought it would be a good choice. 
The Veggetti was really easy to use-just like TV. 
                                                    
One 9 inch zucchini made about 3 cups of Veggettied zucchini, which is probably good for one serving. I sauteed it in olive oil for about 5 minutes. 
When it was almost done, I added a little butter, and a couple of cloves of minced garlic and sauteed that for another 3 minutes or so. When I took it off the stove, I tossed the zucchini with some basil and grated Parmesan. I thought I might just try a few bites...I at the WHOLE thing! 
It wasn't that pretty, but it was delicious.

Now, I know olive oil and a little butter can be fattening, so the next time I make it, I am going to use half the oil and butter (although I didn't use a ton to begin with).  I think I might be ready for spaghetti squash!

No comments:

Post a Comment